VA Central Iowa Health Care System
VA Central Iowa Health Care System uses high-speed internet along with video conferencing technology to provide the right care in the right place at the right time. Using telehealth services, you may be able to see your provider from your local VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic or from the comfort of your home.
Central Iowa offers three forms of telehealth:
1. Home Telehealth (HT) places equipment in your home so you can send real time signs and symptoms related to your health condition/s to your assigned Care Coordinator. Veterans can be enrolled in the Home Telehealth program to receive education, intervention, and self-management skills for diseases such as diabetes, depression, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, hypertension, heart failure, mental health conditions, and MOVE! weight management among many others. Please select the link below to find out if you may qualify for enrollment into the VA Home Telehealth program.
Find out more about the Home Telehealth Program
Common SFT Services at the Central Iowa VA include:
- Retinal Imaging
- Wound Care
- Sleep Study
3. Clinical Video Telehealth (CVT) is a live, secure video connection with a specialist at another location. The technology involves a camera and a monitor. CVT also has high definition peripheral devices available that can be utilized for certain specialty appointments. Common CVT Services at the Central Iowa VA include:
- Amputee Clinic
- Blind Rehab
- Comp and Pen MH Exams
- Diabetic Education
- Infectious Disease
- Mental Health
- Occupational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Physical Therapy
- Post 9/11
- Primary Care
- Respiratory Care
- Sleep Medicine
- Speech Pathology
- Spinal Cord Injury and affiliated services
Medical Mobile Unit (MMU)
Central Iowa is dedicated to expanding health care services to our Veterans living in rural coverage areas. This is achieved through use of our Mobile Medical Unit (MMU) which is equipped with CVT equipment to conduct primary and specialty care appointments. The MMU will have regularly scheduled stops at predetermined locations throughout Iowa. Please ask your Primary Care Provider how to enroll for the Medical Mobile Unit.
To find out more information and to view a schedule of the MMU locations please click here
VA Video Connect (VVC)
Talk to your provider about connecting in a virtual medical room using the camera on your smart phone, computer or tablet. These video visits are ideal if you:
- Live far away from your VA Facility
- You lack time to attend an in-person appointment
- A hands-on physical exam is not required
- You’re dealing with health conditions that make it difficult to travel to the specialist you need
- Dangerous or difficult travel conditions create barriers to making your clinic appointment
If you do not have video capability on your smart phone, computer or tablet, your provider may be able to issue you a VA iPad to use for telehealth appointments.
Find out more about VA Video Connect
To incorporate Telehealth into your care plan today, please talk to one of your VA Healthcare Providers.
m uses high-
- Des Moines VA Medical Center
Hours of Operation
- 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.