VA Central Iowa Health Care System
Music Therapy is the clinical and evidence-based use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program. It is an established health service similar to occupational therapy and physical therapy and consists of using music therapeutically to address physical, psychological, cognitive and/or social functioning for patients of all ages. Because music therapy is a powerful and non-invasive medium, unique outcomes are possible. Music therapy is used successfully in the field of healthcare including applications with mental health, rehabilitation, hospice care, nursing home, dementia treatment, military, PTSD, and pain reduction.
Music therapy intervention provides opportunities to:
· Explore personal feelings and therapeutic issues such as self-esteem or personal insight
· Make positive changes in mood and emotional states
· Have a sense of control over life through successful experiences
· Express oneself both verbally and non-verbally
· Develop coping and relaxation skills
· Support healthy feelings and thoughts
· Interact socially with others
· Improve concentration and attention span
· Adopt positive forms of behavior
· Resolve conflicts leading to stronger family and peer relationships
· Memory recall which contributes to reminiscence and satisfaction with life
· Anxiety and stress reduction
· Nonpharmacological management of pain and discomfort
· Stimulation which provokes interest even when no other approach is effective
Music Therapy interventions provided at VA Central Iowa:
Groups and 1:1 visits on most units
Song Writing and Lyric Analysis
1:1 Music Lessons
Group Guitar Class
Music and Movement
Music and Reminiscence
Social Music such as concerts, karaoke, and singalongs
Current Calendar of Events - Cosponsored with Recreation Therapy
If you are interested in learning how to play guitar as part of your therapy, please check out Guitars For Vets!
Our very own Music Therapist is working with this unique program to provide lessons and free guitars for Veterans who would benefit. Please check out their local Facebook page or contact us for more information.
- Des Moines Main Campus, CLC - Building 12
- 515-699-5999 Ext. 24983
- 515-699-5999 Ext. 24300
Hours of Operation
- 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.