VA Central Iowa Health Care System
Extended Care and Rehabilitation
About the Program
The Extended Care and Rehabilitation Service Line promotes innovative Veteran centered care that provides the right care, at the right time and in the right setting.
- We continue to transform the culture of our Community Living Center (CLC) to improve Veteran’s quality of life and to provide support to their families while allowing patients to return to prior living arrangements;
- We provide innovative home and community based care programs that promote Veteran health care in their homes or in their communities;
- We strive to improve access and quality of care of hospice and palliative care for Veterans in the advanced stages of illness and at end of life;
- We promote the support of families and caregivers through education, respite services and bereavement care.
The Extended Care and Rehabilitation Service Line have been innovative in meeting the needs of Veterans by spearheading program development for several special population groups such as: Polytrauma; Spinal Cord Injury; Visual Impairment Services; Amputee; and Geriatrics. The VA provides value to our Veterans, their families and our employees through continual improvements and innovations in the delivery of health care services throughout the rehabilitation continuum.
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Recreation Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Visual Impairment and Low Vision Services
- Home Based Primary Care
- Home Tele-Health
- Spinal Cord Injury Clinic
- Geriatric Problem Focus Clinic and GeriPACT Clinic
- Polytrauma Support/Traumatic Brain Injury Services
The CARF Inpatient Rehabilitation program requires the patient to participate in a minimum of 2.5 treatment hours for 6 days a week. Therapy can include a combination of Physical, Occupational, or Speech.
- The Joint Commission (TJC) since 2004
- Commission on the Accreditioon for Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) since 1999
External Monitoring of Quality of Services through the Long Term Care Institute, Inc, since 2008
What Patients are Saying
"The Staff goes out of their way to take care of me."
"My Doctor is professional and encouraging."
"I couldn't ask for a better place to be."
Admission and facility tour information for the Community Living Center are coordinated though Social Work Service by dialing 515-699-5999 extension 4373 or extension 3562.
Please also read our most recent newsletters!
February 2020 Newsletter
- CLC, Building 12
- 515-699-5999 Ext. 5510
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 8:00a.m. to 4:30p.m. - Outpatient
24/7 - Inpatient