VA Central Iowa Health Care System
Staff at VA Central Iowa Health Care system have provided a number of ways for you to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and self-manage your own health.
Veterans Health Education Center
The NEW Veterans Health Education Center is located on the 1st floor of the Administration Building in room 1951 and will be opening in July 2016.
The My HealtheVet site provides veterans and their family excellent, reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA News. Information about veterans benefits and services are also available.
Upon registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to:
- Refill prescriptions online
- Keep personal food and activity journals
- Monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- Maintain your own self-entered personal health record
Veterans Health Library
The Veterans Health Library (VHL) offers Veterans, family members, and caregivers 24/7 access to comprehensive Veteran-focused health information. This site is your one stop resource for reliable, current and clinican approved health information.
Outpatient Health Education
Clinical staff provide ongoing health education during regularly scheduled outpatient clinic visits. In addition to the one on one health education provided during your scheduled visit, VA Central Iowa offers various health education resources to include: self-directed trainings, group sessions and a web-based resource library. Health education topics focus on:
- Health promotion
- Medical tests and procedures
Staff can tell you about upcoming Veterans Health Education offerings.
Inpatient Health Education
Clinical staff begin the patient education process at the time of admission, during the hospital stay, at discharge and beyond. Our goal is to provide a healthcare environment where patients:
- Are an active participant in their healthcare
- Continually receive updated health information
- Are able to ask questions about their health
- Can enjoy as comfortably as possible their stay in our facility